Confession: I hardly ever wear jewelry.
Not because I don't like it, but because I am incompetent at picking it out. I tend to stick to my wedding ring, diamond studs Josh gave me on our wedding day and a vintage ring my grandma gifted me in 1994 that I've worn nearly every day since.
I find shopping for casual or costume jewelry overwhelming. Too many options, and so much of the fun stuff seems too risky-- like I'll wear it once and never again. And you know how I feel about having too much crap. Yuck. Not to mention, I don't want to spend all my monies on non-heirloom jewelry, but I'd rather die than go into a Charming Charlies. It's like Willie Wonka's chocolate factory of cheap jewelry, in a very bad way.
This is precisely why Rocksbox is the first company I've ever agreed to write about on Hey Eleanor. It's a no-obligation, jewelry loan service and it's right up my alley.
Here's how it works:
- You fill out a style profile and Rocksbox curates a three-piece jewelry sets for you.
- Keep and wear your three Rocksbox pieces for as long as you like, return your set anytime, as often as you like, and they’ll send out a new set of three right away.
- You pay the same membership fee ($19/mo) regardless of how often you exchange your box. When you're ready for refresh of your box send back all the pieces you don't wish to purchase.
- If you love a piece, keep it when you return your box and you'll be billed at a discounted rate.
My first Rocksbox shipment arrived late last week.
Here's what I got:
Based on my style profile, I'd say these picks are pretty spot on. In fact, I decided to return the earrings and necklace (after wearing it a few times because I could! And I got tons of compliments) because they were so close to two items I already own.
The bracelet though! I've worn it for the last five days. Yesterday, I even considered wearing it to the gym. It's something I never would've picked for myself, but I love it! Purchased for $32.
Here's why I love the Rocksbox concept.
- Someone else does the shopping for me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy picking out my own stuff, but like I said, jewelry shopping overwhelms me.
- It forces me to try things I might not have picked out myself.
- I only have to look at three pieces, not three thousand.
- I can test drive them for a few days (or weeks!). If I hate how a necklaces lays or realize a bracelet is impossible to wear while I'm typing at my computer, bye Felicia!
- I love getting stuff in the mail because I am a person and can't help it!
- Lastly, I never, ever feel truly "put together" (something I recently wrote about here). I gotta say, throwing on the necklace and bracelet Rocksbox sent over made me feel instantly like I was wearing and outfit, not clothes. I never feel like I'm wearing an outfit! Maybe accessories are the secret sauce my clothes were missing.
Wanna try Rocksbox for free? Thought so. Here's how:
Check out a free month at rocksbox.com with promo code: mollymxoxo
Here's to a put together-feeling summer. Or at least until it's too hot and sweaty for anyone to look put together.
* * *
Rocksbox is not my first rodeo with online subscription or loaning services.
I quit my Birchbox subscription earlier this year because a million samples cluttering my bathroom was fun for a few months, but then drove me bananas! However, I can't say enough about how much I love Rent the Runway. It's the fun of shopping for nice things without cluttering your closet with stuff you'll only wear once or twice.